Due to concerted efforts to improve fire safety codes, house fires are not nearly as common as they used to be. While these measures have helped to lower their frequency, house fires do still happen. Here are two of the biggest culprits.
While some may scoff at the idea that their cooking may reduce their homes to ashes, unfortunately, cooking accidents are a leading cause of house fires. If cooking is left unattended and something were to combust, a homeowner who is not present will not be around to notice the danger until it’s too late. When cooking, always practices proper safety precautions and monitor progress. Additionally, should you have a grease fire in your kitchen, DO NOT USE WATER to extinguish the flames. The most reliable way is to remove the heat source and cover the fire with either another cooking pot/pan or a damp towel. *Always dial for emergency assistance when needed*
The temperatures have plummeted again here in Chicagoland, causing many homeowners to reach for their space heaters to take the edge off. Space heaters, while often providing relief from the cold, need to be used with caution. Here are some tips:
1) Don’t leave your space heater on while unattended. When you have finished occupying space heated by a space heater, turn off and unplug the unit.
2) Always be mindful to keep space heaters away from flammable materials or items. A good starting point is 3ft but be sure to consult the device’s user manual as space heater power may vary between units. Some household items that are more flammable include but are not limited to furniture, paper, and fabrics.
3) Do not use a space heater in a confined area. It may seem like a good idea to place a space heater under your desk to keep your feet warm, but using a space heater in an enclosed area may be risky. It is best to allow a heater unit appropriate space to work. Consult the user manual for further guidance.